Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hello, all!

Here I am, safely in Carmarthen. It's about 8 o'clock pm here, which is odd. I can't quite adjust as I'm supposed to, and still have pretty bad jetlag.

We've had many, many orientation sessions the past two days, and woke up early for all of them. Then today, we went to Llansteffan Castle and also Dylan Thomas' boathouse (which is right by another castle). Llansteffan is mostly a ruin--created in the 12th century by a great Welsh king, one of the last. I can't pronounce his name. I am dying to share my pictures of Llansteffan and of Carmarthen with all of you, but haven't my wireless access yet. It will have to wait until next week.

For curious parties (Aunt Ginny, Beth, Kate, Mom, Aunt Lee) I've seen so many sheep! It's funny, because righ tbetween the main part of town (which is beautiful, by the way), and the train station, there are a bunch of sheep on a field. They look so out of place!

Favorite store name so far is The Spread Eagle, which is a restaurant/hotel. For interested lemurs, there's a place called the Boar's Head (At Cornelia Strong College, this is a Christmas Carol we sing at Holiday Tea).

I will be taking a class called "Creative Project." At the end of it, we're meant to have created a novel, a collection of short stories, an autobiography, or a travel-writing piece. I think it'll be cool to do the last, the travel writing. My plan is to group these blogs, which I will write casually, and take what is worthy to put into the larger piece. It means I'll return with a book of my adventures, and hopefully it won't be too bad. I *might* let people read it, if they ask really nicely.

At any rate, I am to watch a movie tonight with some girls I've met. Peri is an English major from Pennsylvania, Mareika is a German primary education major, Kelti is from Indiana State and studies Outdoor Pursuits, and Martina is from Austria. There are 16 other Americans from a private school in upstate NY (not Canisius, Dad), and there are to be two more Austrians from Martina's school. There are also two girls from Canada, one who's not arrived, and two boys from Indiana.

The Student Union on campus is the most popular hangout. The first floor is a disco, the second's a bar. It's quite insane.

Must go! It's movie time!

Love to all,
Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment